Lotterywest is committed to upholding high standards of privacy and data protection. We are accredited through the World Lottery Association’s Security Control Standard and appropriate State and Federal laws. In the interest of transparency, we have outlined our approach to managing data of our customers and stakeholders, ensuring a high standard of privacy, security and respect.
Lotterywest has adapted the Australian Privacy Principles from the Commonwealth Privacy Act 1988. Lotterywest is committed to ensuring the privacy and protection of the personal information collected in the course of conducting its business.
What personal information is collected from you by Lotterywest directly and through others?
Lotterywest will not collect your personal information unless it is considered necessary for the provision of services. Such services include the provision of lottery games and the making of grants. Personal information is collected from retailers, players, suppliers and grant applicants. It includes information such as your name, address, phone number, e-mail address, date of birth, all of which can be used to identify who you are as an individual. The type of personal information collected by Lotterywest will depend upon the nature of your relationship with us. For example, we will require more personal information to register you as a player than to enter you in promotions.
What sensitive information is collected from you
Sensitive information includes data such as passport number, bank account details, driver’s licence and Medicare details. If we need to obtain this type of information we will ask for your consent, except where otherwise permitted by law. The likely use of requesting this information is to verify your age for playing our games online as you need to be 16+.
How your personal information is collected
Lotterywest will collect information directly from you whenever possible. This information is collected via forms including online applications, competitions, over the phone, via email and social media. Data is collected online via cookies, but it does not identify you by your personal details.
How we secure your personal information
Lotterywest keeps hardcopies and electronic records both on and offsite. Security includes:
- Staff training to create awareness about the protection of your information;
- System security with strict privilege access to electronic files and encryption for transmission of files. We have firewalls, intrusion detection systems and virus scanning software to protect your information from unauthorised access;
- Building security including access passes, CCTV and zoned alarm systems to prevent unauthorised access to our buildings; and
- Secure destruction of information no longer required. All records are managed in accordance with the State Records Act 2000.
How we use your information
We use your personal information for the purpose it was collected, a related purpose which you would reasonably expect, a purpose required or permitted by law and a purpose for which we have obtained your consent. Use of your information includes (but is not limited to): to identify you, to register you as a player, to open an online player account, to process a retail licence agreement and / or to process a grant
application. We also use your personal information for:
- Direct Marketing
- Online behavioural advertising
Who we disclose your information to
Lotterywest will disclose personal information for the purpose which was either specified or reasonably apparent at the time of collection. For example, we may use your personal information to send you marketing or promotional material. We may exchange your information with the following third parties, as a necessary part of doing business:
- External service providers we use to operate our business and manage our business systems, including but not limited to our gaming system provider, marketing agencies and research companies;
- Our employees and contractors, but only as required to perform their function;
- State and Commonwealth law enforcement agencies or regulators, where a lawful request is made; and
- Investigators recruited to help identify illegal activities and prevent fraud.
Lotterywest may also disclose your personal information for any other related purpose for which you would reasonably expect it to be used.
How do you access and seek correction of your personal information
It is important that your details are up-to-date. You can check or update your information by:
- Calling our Customer Services team on 1300 564 047
Depending on the type of correction required, there may be a different process to follow. You will be advised of that process and associated timeframes when you contact us. Lotterywest will provide you with written reasons if your request for access and correction is denied and advise you of the process to complain regarding such refusal; or
If you are an online player you can access and change your information online.
How you complain if you are dissatisfied with the manner in which we use your personal information
Lotterywest operates a complaints escalation process. Initial communication of your complaint will be handled by our Customer Services team. If our Customer Services team are unable to satisfy your complaint, the matter will be escalated within the organisation. Lotterywest treats complaints seriously and each complaint is tracked to completion.
Disclosure of your personal information to domestic recipients
We do not give your personal information to other Government agencies or private sector organisations unless one of the following applies:
- you have given your consent;
- you would reasonably expect, or been informed, that your personal information would be passed to
- those bodies or agencies;
- the disclosure is required or authorised by law; or
- a permitted general situation under the Privacy Act exists such as where Lotterywest reasonably believes that the collection, use or disclosure is
- necessary to:
– lessen or prevent a serious threat to the life, health or safety of any individual, or to public health or safety;
– take appropriate action in relation to unlawful activity, or misconduct of a serious nature
– the establishment, exercise or defence of a legal or equitable claim.
Do we disclose your personal information to overseas recipients?
Lotterywest may send your personal information overseas, for example to our gaming systems providers or to other service providers who operate or hold data outside Australia. Where we do this, we make sure that appropriate data handling and security arrangements are in place. It should be noted that these foreign jurisdictions will have their own legislation in regard to privacy. Currently we deal with service providers in Greece, the United States of America and Canada. Such disclosures will only be in the normal course of doing business and only for the intended purposes of Lotterywest as set out in the Lotteries Commission Act 1990.